This position will have responsibility for customer facing design and project management coordination, as well as packaging design and engineering tasks and outputs. The goal of this position is to have on-site, frequent engineering and design support for customers in the Chicago area as well as other geographic areas where Bell maintains a customer base.
This position will include full functionality for packaging engineering work including structural design; development of specifications; customer trial technical support; technical and on-site support for new business integration. The Packaging Design Project Manager will work closely with the Director of Sales and Business Development to define opportunities for specific customer project management to ensure account growth and customer satisfaction.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide the leadership and expertise to manage design development opportunities that provide Bell Incorporated and our customers with a competitive advantage through:
- Innovative structural design
- New product designs
- Design improvements
- Joint Process Improvement Project Management
- Structural design of all types of paperboard packaging. Particular emphasis on new concepts, product improvement, and special projects.
- Responsible for research, analysis and revision to new and existing designs to best fit internal press and cutting capabilities.
- Consult with gluing and/or die cutting on structural opportunities and issues.
- Provide design, layout and die information needed for Estimating.
- Responsible for creating die layouts for designs for Estimating.
- Review need for common knife vs. bleed allowance per customer graphics requirements.
- Originate or revise structural design of new/existing items using ARTIOS CAD Software.
- Produce correct and creative CAD cut samples and mock-ups for customers, sales staff, graphic design dept. and production purposes, as dictated by customer requirements.
- Maintain spreadsheet database of all designs developed, samples cut, by customer/design number/date.
- Supply die vinyls as required.
- Maintain an inventory of stock at Chicago office location for sample requirements.
- Provide electronic files to Graphic Design for conversion and copy to customers of electronic die lines.
- Work in conjunction with Packaging Engineering Manager to:
- Facilitate solutions for customers
- Provide best quality and turn around on design concepts, samples, mock-up’s and estimating input
- Cross train on all functions to allow back-up support for both
- Work in conjunction with Sales/Customer Account Management teams to:
- Coordinate on-site design and engineering support per specific schedule
- Engage customers in JPI projects
- Provide quick reaction to any design related quality or machining issues with packaging supplied by Bell
- Technical and on-site support for new business integration, as assigned
- Liaison between Sales & Production providing communications and planning for start up of new customers to include supplier qualification and R&D trials and coordination of engineering, operations & quality resources to satisfy any and all customer requirements.
- Attend Review Board and New Business Integration Meetings as nature of project dictates.
- Other tasks and duties as assigned.
Customers: Serve as primary design contact for customer accounts, as assigned. On-site customer work is goal of position. Must be knowledgeable about status of customer orders/trials/projects.Customer Account Managers – Sales & Internal: Coordinate customer work and projects and communicate customer feedback, requirements and project status to account management team
- Operations: Understand operational capabilities to ensure designs are produce able and scalable. Supply all needed details regarding customer requirements, per project or new business meetings.
- Graphic Design: Coordinate with Graphics Services and Prepress Team regarding customer design projects.
- This position is responsible for interfacing and communicating with all departments within the organization, to ensure the highest level of Customer Satisfaction.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Must have excellent oral communication, written communication and phone skills.
- Must be highly proficient in: Artios CAD, Topps (or similar SW application), Windows based software, Microsoft Office Applications and ability to work in MAC based electronic graphic design.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, successful at prioritizing by importance and immediacy. Able to work within tight timeframes and willingness to work “overtime” as required.
- Must be a self-starter and able to work without close supervision. Information gathering, analysis and decision-making abilities desired.
- Receptive personality able to handle constant interruptions.
- Must exhibit creativity and grasp of knowledge in problem solving scenarios.
- Must be innovative and rise to challenge of finding new ways to approach design, costing scenarios and production capabilities.
- Must demonstrate skills that “create” competitive advantage the market place demands.
- Must be organized, visually oriented, have good math skills.
- Must be able to work as a member of an established, cross-functional team, creating an environment of mutual trust and respect between team members.
- Preparation and design of unique customer presentations, which magnify our capabilities and competencies
- Must have a working knowledge of production requirements.
Education and Experience
- Packaging Design experience required - minimum of 3 years.
- Degree in Packaging Science required.
- Must have 5+ years experience in customer service or account management applications
- Must have experience and knowledge which allows coordination of complex, multi-style/size/copy item projects which require creativity in design, estimating, and production planning.
- Printing and/or manufacturing background preferred.
- General Office Conditions: sitting, standing, phone and computer work.
- Travel is required.
- Must be able and willing to work additional hours to support workload demands
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
•Packaging Design experience required - minimum of 3 years.
•Degree in Packaging Science required.
•Must have 5+ years experience in customer service or account management applications.
•Must have experience and knowledge which allows coordination of complex, multi-style/size/copy item projects which require creativity in design, estimating, and production planning.
•Printing and/or manufacturing background preferred.