Position Summary* *
- Shift Supervisor is responsible for the safety, quality and productivity of the production areas, warehouse and overall company facility during their shift. Their overall objective is to develop and manage personnel, equipment and facilities to meet production performance and company goals.*
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Safety and Program Compliance to include:
- Ensure a safe working environment exists throughout the production areas.
- Enforce safety rules and standards.
- Enforce AIB and ISO 9001 Procedures and Compliance.
- Responsible for facility security and access per company policies. * People management and development to include:
- Develop workforce by providing leadership and performance coaching for new and existing employees.
- Provide feedback to Operations Managers and Human Resources on employees’ abilities, capabilities, performance issues, etc.
- Orientate, train and assist with oversight of temporary employees on shift.
- Assist with completion and delivery of Employee Performance Evaluations.
- Coordinate with Operations Managers and Human Resources to provide documentation and information regarding attendance, PTO, Safety and Disciplinary Actions.
- Oversee and manage support personnel scheduled during shift (i.e., warehouse, quality, maintenance, etc.) * Management of Production activities to include:
- Communicate and coordinate with Quality Technicians to ensure manufacture of quality products.
- Manage all production lines for efficiencies, spoilage, downtime and on time shipments to ensure they meet with company and customer requirements.
- Maximum volume produced and efficiency of operations during shift.
- Supervise quality processes performed by equipment operators.
- Oversee any Preventive Maintenance scheduled on shift. Coordinate with assigned Maintenance Technician to ensure PM is performed completely and correctly. * Communication of Production and Facility Performance to include:
- Provide complete and effective report of production and facility performance and issues at end of work shift.
- Coordinate with Maintenance and other “on-call” departments to facilitate immediate actions taken to reduce/eliminate downtime on shift.
- Communicate with Plant and Department Managers regarding any production or process issues during shift, as dictated by schedule/severity of issues.
- Shift Supervisors must have a “sense of urgency” in meeting production goals for the shift and eliminating downtime on all equipment.
- Personal Development
- Participate in supervisor training, company meetings and other management functions/meetings.
- Director of Manufacturing – supervisor; establishes direction and evaluates performance.
- Plant, Printing and Finishing Operations Managers – Crewing implementation. Employee management and development.
- Human Resources Manager – HR policy implementation and documentation.
- Scheduler – Production reporting, production volume/schedule goals by shift.
- Maintenance – Troubleshooting and repair of equipment or facility items.
- Coordinate as necessary with any appropriate personnel to accomplish goals required by the Company.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must be a safety champion – must be willing to identify, implement and enforce safety improvements, rules and requirements.
- Must be able to effectively and productively direct and manage production and production support personnel.
- Must be able to work with a diverse workforce
- Must be able to communicate proficiently in English – read, write, speak
- Functional understanding of manufacturing to include raw materials usage, equipment operation, established quality systems, and production scheduling.
- Ability to communicate with all levels of team members and management.
- Problem solving/trouble shooting skills a must.
- Ability to make timely and effective judgment calls and take responsible action and decisions.
Education and Experience
- High School/GED Diploma*
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience, leading and directly 25+ employees* *
- Must have minimum of 5 years of manufacturing experience. Preference given to candidates with experience in a multi-shift operation. Folding carton experience highly preferred.*
- Majority of work time (90%+) will be spent on manufacturing floor ensuring production environment is safe and productive, and production schedule is met.
- Work day is fast-paced. Support is required across two manufacturing facilities.
- Work hours per day: minimum of 12 hours to accommodate meetings with Operations Managers and/or other Shift Supervisor
- Physical requirements: must have good color vision and acuity, must be able to lift and move up to 50 pounds, stand or walk for extended periods.